“The Saint Ladislaus Parish continues to preserve the growing community’s heritage and culture, and as we proceed into the future, we will strive to reach out and welcome our neighbors to become a part of our parish community through worship and spiritual support.”
Rev. Juan Gabriel Acosta, PASTOR
About Father Juan Gabriel:
Saint Ladislaus Parish is a Roman Catholic Christian Community which has preserved a strong cultural heritage since 1907. At the start of the 20th century, circa 1900, a large number of Hungarians settled in South Norwalk. These Hungarian Catholics steadily increased, and it soon became necessary to take steps to establish a Hungarian Catholic Parish where they could worship in their own language. The cornerstone was laid on Nov. 25, 1909, and the church basement was opened for Sunday Mass on Nov. 27, 1910. The formal dedication of the church was June 30, 1912. The approximate cost of construction was $30,000. The Romanesque Revival-style church was designed by distinguished Hungarian architect Ödön Lechner, The Golden Jubilee of the parish was celebrated on July 28, 1957. Also during that year, ground was broken for the Parish Center. Work was completed on Oct. 29, 1961. In June of 1983, the church interior was renovated to comply with Vatican II guidelines. In January of 2005, Fr. Michael J. Bachman became the eighth and current pastor. He began restoration of the Tabernacle and returned it to its original place on the main altar in November 2005.
OUR LOCATION: 25 Cliff Street, Norwalk, Connecticut 06854
COME VISIT US!
IN THE NEWS…
Critical Mass: One Norwalk church bucks national trend
By Kaitlyn Krasselt and Claire Galvin – THE HOUR, Published: August 22, 2016
The number of Americans who identify as Catholic has shrunk in recent years, and Connecticut leads the nation in that decline. While Norwalk is no exception to the trend — cumulative parish registration is down 11 percent and mass attendance has declined 20 percent across the city’s seven Catholic churches — one Norwalk church has found a way to grow. Saint Ladislaus Parish, located in South Norwalk, is the only Norwalk church that has seen an increase in both parish registration and mass attendance. It has grown Mass attendance from about 100 members three years ago to more than 500 on any given weekend, and parish registration has grown 48 percent since 2008. Patrick Turner, director of strategic and pastoral planning at the Diocese of Bridgeport, attributes the growing attendance to changes in the church that have drawn in a younger and more diverse crowd…” Continue Reading…